Thursday, September 13, 2007

A day in the life of...

Me. Duh.

Just thought I'd give you the run down on my typical day at Calvin.

I woke up at 7:25 as usual to go to breakfast with Stina (at 7:30. We do this every day). I've got this timed perfectly; it doesn't take long to get ready because I just leave my pajamas on. They're the very cute ones my Grandma made me. I am proud to wear them in public. :)

I've cut down on the waffles; national waffle week is over and I would hate to get sick of them. So now I switch it up. I had blueberry pancakes yesterday... they were delicious...

But anyway. Much as you would love to read about what I am eating here, I will move on...

My first class today wasn't until 10:30, so I had plenty of time to get ready after breakfast. I like Thursdays for that reason; most of my suite is out in class so I have the bathroom to myself. Very nice.

English (my first class Thursday) isn't bad; just a TON of reading. Seriously. HOURS of reading everyday. Right now we are reading the Odyssey, which is fun. I like it.

Next class on Thursdays is Theology, which is much better than it seemed at first. I really liked the poem we discussed today by C.S. Lewis. Oh! Totally random: My theology prof looks frighteningly similar to my cello teacher. They have the same face, same hair, same mannerisms, similar clothes. Just one big difference; my theology prof is about the most logical person you could ever meet, and my cello teacher was very... non-logical. Artsy, I suppose. Which I suppose she should be, as a musician...

Nothing against artsy people or musicians. I'm not trying to generalize. But you know what I mean.

Random theology moment #2: I sit in the back of my theology class, next to the window. Occasionally I turn around and glance out said window. Today I happened to glance out behind me and saw, above a building just behind my theology classroom, a large pirate kite... Looked like fun. I wanted to go out and investigate.

But anyway. Last class I had today was French; I had a vocab. quiz. And I aced it! 100%! Yes!! That made me happy. I was kind of worrying about that.

Yep. That's it for classes. Then I went this afternoon and got my sports physical done so I can play track in the spring. As far as they could tell, I am alive and probably well...

And now I am here posting! I don't have much homework tonight, so after dinner I am planning on meeting some friends to go to a fun CRC lecture! hahaha just kidding. I really am going to a lecture, but it's for extra credit. If I go I can get 20 points e.c. for my theology class, which would definitely be helpful. So I'm going. Bring it on.

So. This is long. If you're still reading, I will now reward you with the poem I liked so much in Theology today...

Footnote to All Prayers
He whom I bow to only knows to whom I bow
When I attempt the ineffable Name, murmuring Thou,
And dream of Pheidian fancies and embrace in heart
Symbols (I know) which cannot be the thing Thou art.
Thus always, taken at their word, all prayers blaspheme
Worshipping with frail images a folk-lore dream
And all men in their praying, self-deceived, address
The coinage of their own unquiet thoughts, unless
Thou in magnetic mercy to Thyself divert
Our arrows, aimed unskilfully, beyond desert;
And all men are idolators, crying unheard
To a deaf idol, if Thou take them at their word.
Take not, oh Lord, our literal sense. Lord, in Thy great,
Unbroken speech our limping metaphor translate.
-C.S. Lewis

4 comments:

cristina said...

i don't have shoulders.

sounds like a pretty cool friend to have breakfast with you every morning.

bummer. i was going to leave an anonymous comment, but i see you do not allow that. so, ignore the name that shows up on the comment, and pretend it is anonymous...

Padfoot240 said...

RIP Waffles

Anonymous said...

Sweet day. I really do appreciate your updates! It gives me a good idea of how you Calvin girls are exactly doing. It makes me feel good about the future and about how we're not all going to lose contact after all. Ya' know? Have an awesome weekend!

danielle said...

yay! i'm proud of you! you updated a long one. it's good to hear about your day...it makes me feel as though i'm there.
so tell me, is it werid not being complete?

it is a strange feeling being incomplete...at least you've got the better half! :)

love ya lots!
oh, and i like pancakes better than waffles. you can't beat that fluffiness! :) is that a word? well, it is now.