Monday, August 13, 2007

the story

I do not have the most beautiful of skin. Let's just say I have lots of freckles, sun spots, etc. Sometimes the kids at day care point this out. I had a whole session on Friday with a little girl going "there's a freckle and there's a freckle and there's a mole..." and so on and so on.

I wouldn't call it a touchy subject but it's not exactly my favorite topic.

So today we went to the beach and I hung out with one of my buddies; in fact the same little boy who asked me about Scooby Doo's house, if you will remember. On the bus ride there, he sits next to me and says, "You have a lot of freckles."

"Yes, I know." I did not attempt to continue the conversation.

"Do you know what freckles are?" he asked. Skin cancer, I thought to myself. I did not say this out loud.

"What?" I asked, perhaps in a not so encouraging tone of voice.

He opened his eyes wide and said, very seriously, "They're kisses from angels."

I think that that comment about made my day. :-)

I went shopping again today and got new pants and shorts for track. I also got new running shoes! Much as I love the ones I have now, I have been wearing them for six years and they are beginning to show signs of all that wear and tear. In fact they have holes that go all the way through. :/

So goodbye, old shoes, hello new!!

7 comments:

cristina said...

do me a favor, and take a picture with that kid... you are going to want to remember him forever.
he's awesome.

and you are too! hence, i will visit you on 3rd noordeweir :)

danielle said...

awww! i love my better half just the way she is...freckles and all!

guess what? you get to see me tomorrow...you lucky girl! :)

danielle said...

oh, and how could anyone not love Montana?!?! i wouldn't mind living there at some point in my life! :)

Piperxmeow said...

freckles are awesome!! especially your freckles! embrace the freckles. hooray!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i miss you, twin. i leave in 1.5 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whoa. when do you head off to mich?

Padfoot240 said...

Haha, what a sweet kid.

Anonymous said...

Yay kid! That means I'm totally not kissed by angels =(

justineeee said...

that is so sweeeeeeet